Screen on my Asus EEE PC T101MT started behaving erratically, switching off and on as I turned and tilted the lid. I’ve dismantled the netbook and the problem was in the broken display cable. A couple of notes for anyone who cares:
- Dismantling the body is not hard, this article explains it well. Be sure to note which screws go where.
- To dismantle the lid, pull out the rubber caps glued around the display. There are screws underneath. After unscrewing them all, remove the lid cover. It’s stickied to the display, but no harm in tearing it off and no other way around.
- Motherboard-to-display cable is FPD-Link (LVDS cable) + minor side load. Part number is 1422-00N6000, new ones can be bought on aliexpress for cheap. Promised 50 day free delivery is an upper bound; mine was delivered in 10 days.
- There’s a hinge connecting the lid to the body with all the cables inside. It would seem that display cable is too big to go through it, but it can be done from its display connector side if you fold it in a particular way:
- The cable is 20 pins (motherboard) to 30 pins (display). There were pinouts for similar cables from other EEE PCs (1005pe, ). I’m posting the final one for T101MT here, checked with multimeter, just in case:20 pin connector
# Description 1 3.3VDD 2 EDID eeprom power (3.3V) 3 EDID eeprom CLK 4 EDID eeprom DATA 5 VDD_EN (Active high, 3.3v) 6 VLED_EN (Active high, 3.3v) 7 GND 8 LVDS Channel 0 – 9 LVDS Channel 0 + 10 LVDS Channel 1 – 11 LVDS Channel 1 + 12 LVDS Channel 2 – 13 LVDS Channel 2 + 14 GND 15 LVDS Clock – 16 LVDS Clock + 17 GND 18 Backlight PWM ADJ 19 Led VCC (5V) 20 Led VCC (5V)
30 pin connector
Most similar connectors have the same pinout for the first 20 pins. The rest seems to be up to the model, GND if unused. “–” is no connection:
# Description 1 GND 2 3.3VDD 3 3.3VDD 4 EDID eeprom power (3.3V) 5 Backlight PWM ADJ 6 EDID eeprom CLK 7 EDID eeprom DATA 8 LVDS Channel 0 – 9 LVDS Channel 0 + 10 GND 11 LVDS Channel 1 – 12 LVDS Channel 1 + 13 GND 14 LVDS Channel 2 – 15 LVDS Channel 2 + 16 GND 17 LVDS Clock – 18 LVDS Clock + 19 GND 20 — 21 — 22 GND 23 GND 24 Led VCC ( 5V ) 25 Led VCC ( 5V ) 26 Led VCC ( 5V ) 27 — 28 VDD_EN (Active high, 3.3v) 29 — 30 VLED_EN (Active high, 3.3v)